This book by Glenn Fleishman teaches you how to use an iPhone or iPad with iOS 9 on Wi-Fi and cellular/mobile networks securely, making connections with ease while protecting your data and controlling access to your private information. It also covers Bluetooth networking, tracking an iOS device, content-blocking Safari extensions, privacy settings, using AirDrop and AirPlay, and solving connection problems.
The book covers a huge range of common network setup and routine usage issues, with illustrated step-by-step instructions. It explains how your private details–who you are, sites you visit, and where you physically go–are shared with Apple and others, and how to restrict or block that sharing. On the security side, it walks you through scenarios from securing your data in transit to connecting to a secure Wi-Fi network to recovering or erasing a lost iPhone.
You’ll learn how to:
- Troubleshoot problematic Wi-Fi connections.
- Use Safari content-blocking extensions.
- Master all the options for a Personal Hotspot.
- Stream music and video to other devices.
- Transfer files between iOS and OS X with AirDrop.
- Block creeps from iMessage, FaceTime, and phone calls.
- Secure your data in transit with a Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection.
- Protect your device against access and deal with it going missing.
- Plan and manage your cellular data usage.
- The book covers WPA2 security, AirDrop, AirPlay, Bluetooth networking, content-blocking Safari extensions, Wi-Fi Calling, Wi-Fi Assist, Airplane Mode, privacy settings, Personal Hotspot (including Instant Hotspot), VPNs, two-factor authentication, Touch ID and passcodes, and Find My iPhone.
This book has been thoroughly updated for iOS 9, and includes details about new features, like Wi-Fi Assist, two-factor authentication, and Wi-Fi Calling. It also has a new section on privacy that explains what kinds of data about yourself you expose, how to control Apple’s settings, and using content-blocking Safari extensions.