Apple has added lyric search and display to iTunes, and this feature was available in iOS 10 betas. You could view lyrics for your own music, if you had added lyrics to the tracks, and iTunes and the Music app would look for lyrics if you hadn’t. However, in the shipping version of iOS 10, this feature has been changed. You can only view lyrics for Apple Music tracks. If your music contains lyrics that you added in iTunes, there’s no way to view them in the Music app.
If you play a track from Apple Music, the menu is different:
Tap Lyrics to display the song’s lyrics.
It’s odd, and quite annoying, that Apple has done this. I’ve added lyrics to a lot of my music, and I can view those lyrics in iTunes. I would expect to be able to view them on iOS, which I have been able to do for many years.
Want to know more about the iOS 10 Music app? Check out these articles:
- How to Find the Shuffle and Repeat Buttons in the iOS 10 Music App
- Use Optimize Storage in iOS 10 to Automatically Clear Unplayed Music
- hidden delete button in the iOS 10 Music app
- How to Sort Songs in the iOS 10 Music App by Title
- Star Ratings Are Indeed Gone in iOS 10 Music App; But There’s Still a Way to Rate Your Songs
- How to Use Up Next in the iOS 10 Music App
- How to Shuffle Only Your Music in the iOS 10 Music App
- iOS 10 Music App Only Displays Lyrics for Apple Music Songs
- No More Genius in the iOS 10 Music App
- Control Music Playback from Control Center on iOS 10
- Apple Seems to Have Forgotten the Play Button in the iOS 10 Music App
And learn What’s New in iTunes 12.5.